Author Backcountry Sports: Previous Topic Tree Climbing? Next Topic  

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2008 :  5:53:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Did you know that tree climbing is a "real" sport - for grown ups?

According to Wikipedia, "Tree climbing consists of ascending and moving around in the canopy of trees. Tree climbing is safe when done with the proper training and equipment. Use of a rope, helmet, and harness are the minimum requirements to ensure the safety of the climber. Other equipment can also be used depending on the experience and skill of the tree climber. Some tree climbers take special hammocks called 'Treeboats' with them into the tree canopies where they can enjoy a picnic or nap, or spend the night.

Tree climbing is an 'on rope' activity that employs a mixture of techniques and gear derived from rock climbers, cave explorers, sailors and loggers. Modern tree climbing techniques are a derivative of these other activities. These techniques are used to climb trees for many purposes, including recreation, sport, research, activism and work."

So, where can you find tree climbing equipment? Try this place:
www.newtribe.com

And, check out these sites:
http://www.fs.fed.us/treeclimbing/
www.treeclimbing.com

Jen

Farmgirl Sisterhood Member #9

The View From My Boots: www.bovesboots.blogspot.com

marybeth
outstepping

146 Posts

Marybeth
Washington
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2008 :  11:26:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love to climb trees. Have since I was a kid. we had a very old and huge English Walnut tree and it was perfect for climbing. One year I was getting ready to put in my veggie garden and the boy down the road had an old rototiller so I thought I would get him to do the work. He was walking down the road and I called to him and he looked and looked and there I was up in an apple tree. He couldn't believe his eyes---a grown woman and somebody's mother--I laughed so hard, but I didn't stop climbing trees. MB

Being outside is being
Go to Top of Page

cajungal
outthinking

8 Posts

Catherine
Houston Area Texas
8 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2008 :  07:27:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have some incredibly old Magnolia trees on our land. They have strong limbs circling the trunk and rising about every 10 inches.....almost like steps, a very "safe" climbing tree. My kids have been climbing these trees for about 9 years. 40 feet is about the highest they can climb before the top gets a bit wobbley. The leaves are so large and prolific that it's almost impossible to see them in the tree......great for pranks like dropping things on people below.

I just found a website for a "tree adventure" near the Austin area. It's called Canopy Tree Tours. They offer zip line tours through the trees! We want to go so badly!!!! There are different levels of tours based on physical ability. The one we want to do is the overnight in the treehouse. You take the regular zip line tour but instead of going back you keep going to a treehouse nestled deep in the woods and spend the night. The treehouse looks very similar to the wall tents MJ speaks of. I really want to go!

Blessings
Catherine

"I love your farm, Aunt Catherine" Aaron
Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2008 :  12:07:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That is a GREAT story, MB! And, Catherine, what a cool trip that would be. I've started scouting our land for a great climber. I found one oak that had an old ladder against it (for a deer stand), and so I crawled up & sat in the crook of that tree. It was the first time in years! We've got some lovely oaks - not too huge - that will be prime climbing candidates once we cut the weedy cedars out of the way.

Jen

Farmgirl Sisterhood Member #9

The View From My Boots: www.bovesboots.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

marybeth
outstepping

146 Posts

Marybeth
Washington
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2008 :  7:42:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote