Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Outpost Dispatch
 Wildlife Encounters
 We now have a couple of adopted ALPACAS!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Wildlife Encounters: Previous Topic We now have a couple of adopted ALPACAS! Next Topic  

Libbie
outstepping

157 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
157 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2008 :  08:45:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can't believe it. I said "yes." A neighbor of my parents' had purchased a couple of male alpacas three years ago, and their children had "grown out of them," so they were looking to give away or sell them (the alpacas, not the kids!) - they knew that I had a farm, so she asked my mom if I wanted the alpacas - free. They arrived yesterday, and they are just DARLING. I've named them Machu and Picchu - they are Peruvian, after all, and they are just SO gentle and fun. I can't wait to take them for their walk today. Alpacas are an animal that I'm not sure I would buy (even if I HAD that kind of money...), but I just am loving them. Okay, they've only been here for a day, but they are SO tame and gentle. My 4-year-old and I took them for a walk down to the irrigation canal yesterday, and he was able to lead one of them by himself. He says that Picchu (a small brown one) is "his," and Machu (a-bit-larger brown and white one) is "mine." I'll post a photo of them a bit later. FUN!!!

And on a practical note - anybody know how to trim alpaca toenails? Yep, they have toenails...

XOXO, Libbie

"Farmgirl Sister #10," and proud of it!!!

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2008 :  12:34:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
How fun, Libbie!! Can't wait to see photos. Toenails, huh? Do you trim them the same way as goat hooves? I don't even know how to do that....

Jen

Farmgirl Sisterhood Member #9

The View From My Boots: www.bovesboots.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
outstepping

157 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
157 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2008 :  07:25:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So, here they are - grazing on the front lawn yesterday. I would like to introduce...(drum roll, please...)

Machu, and...

Picchu.

They are just SO darn gentle, I love it! They make my gentle cow, Evelynn, look like a wild child. I guess I'll be taking Evie for more walks...

XOXO, Libbie

"Farmgirl Sister #10," and proud of it!!!

Edited by - Libbie on Apr 29 2008 07:28:06 AM
Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2008 :  7:26:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
They are so cute. I would love to just scratch my fingers through all that woolly hair. And it's wonderful that they're such gentle souls...bet the boys love them.

Jen

Edited by - Jen on Apr 29 2008 7:27:16 PM
Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2008 :  7:27:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
By the way, it sure is looking sunny & green at your place, Libbie!

Jen

Go to Top of Page
  Wildlife Encounters: Previous Topic We now have a couple of adopted ALPACAS! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
MaryJane's Outpost Dispatch © 2015 MaryJanesFarm Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000