Author Backcountry Sports: Previous Topic Any surfers out there? Next Topic  

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2008 :  08:07:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
From IdealBite.com...

Make waves by choosing longer-lasting, sustainable surf gear. Regular, petroleum-based stuff ends up staying in our ecosystems for a long time, and it isn't any more durable than eco-friendlier options.

The Benefits

* Less petroleum use. Try apparel, boards, and wax that are free of oil byproducts. (Newsflash: Oil doesn't biodegrade easily, and it's a finite resource.)
* Sustainable wood. Our board-maker picks use only wood harvested from trees that aren't cut down faster than they're replaced.
* Giving your cash to conscientious companies. Support brands that are thinking about the long-term health of our oceans - some donate to ocean conservation orgs.
* Longer-lasting gear. More durable boards mean you'll buy fewer over time.

Wanna Try?

* Grain Surfboards - lower-than-average-VOC, U.S.-made sustainable cedar surfboards ($1,400 and up).
* Hess Surfboards - custom-made using reclaimed and sustainable wood, cork, and only half the fiberglass of a conventional surfboard ($1,000 and up).
* Ocean Green Surfboards - made from balsa wood harvested from sustainable forests, with a hemp (not fiberglass) skin ($795 and up).
* Body Glove Eco Wetsuit - the world's first eco-wetsuit; petroleum-free and produced with a tenth of the energy of standard wetsuits. Also: surf shirt ($90-$325).
* Mantunas Wax - petroleum-free, biodegradable surf wax in recycled-paper packaging ($5).
* Surfrider Foundation - join other surfers campaigning for cleaner oceans.

Jen

Farmgirl Sisterhood Member #9

The View From My Boots: www.bovesboots.blogspot.com

June Bug
outstepping

75 Posts

Traci

75 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2008 :  6:48:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the info Jen!!!! You are so amazing with your wealth of knowledge! I snowboard and my next step is learning to surf. I also want to teach my son. I can't wait!! The only problem is we don't live near a beach or the surf, so we'll have to wait until next summer I think.
Traci
Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2008 :  5:47:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I know what you mean - we really want to visit family in Hawaii, and the girls keep saying how much they'd love to learn to surf there. If only the price of plane tickets would go wayyyyy down! For now, it's kick boards in grandma's pool and snorkeling in the creek

Jen

Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2008 :  07:50:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
While we're on the subject, I just heard about a film called Surfwise that sounds interesting (I could use some saltwater right about now)...

The nine Paskowitz children--eight boys, one girl--grew up as nomads in a series of beat-up campers and RVs. And they surfed. As sport and as an adjunct part of their Jewish faith, because patriarch Dorian “Doc” Paskowitz, a Stanford-educated M.D. who introduced surfing to Israel, saw fusion with the ocean as a path to “wisdom” -- as opposed to “knowledge,” an inferior form of intelligence the children might easily have acquired if they’d been allowed to attend school.

Film maker Doug Pray’s new documentary Surfwise seduces viewers into the family’s seemingly blissful world of neo-primitive health and eco-consciousness. Pray rivets attention, however, by refusing to attach rosy filters to the camera lens as the family gradually reveals the dark complexities of attempting to live with such self-defined purity.

--Review by Bob Sipchen, The Green Life

Jen

Go to Top of Page

June Bug
outstepping

75 Posts

Traci

75 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2008 :  08:07:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That sounds awesome Jen, definately something I would see. I love documentaries. Thanks!Traci
Go to Top of Page
  Backcountry Sports: Previous Topic Any surfers out there? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
MaryJane's Outpost Dispatch © 2015 MaryJanesFarm Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000