Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Outpost Dispatch
 Mother Earth Wisdom
 Making your own herbal soap
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Mother Earth Wisdom: Previous Topic Making your own herbal soap Next Topic  

Ladytrapper
outbound

32 Posts

Juanita
Nova Scotia
Canada
32 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2008 :  08:56:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ladytrapper's Homepage  Reply with Quote
THis will be a first for me, but after smelling the oils of the evening primrose and peppermint, I am fervently wanting a homemade bar of soap of the same scent.
Who here makes this? and advice I would appreciate.

Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair. ~Kahlil Gibran

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2008 :  06:41:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I know NOTHING about this, Juanita, but I did find a neat website that has directions on how to make castile bar soap - with photos:
http://soapchix.wordpress.com/2008/02/25/how-to-make-cold-processed-soap-in-13-steps-a-tutorial/

Jen

Farmgirl Sisterhood Member #9

The View From My Boots: www.bovesboots.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

HuckleberryWine
outbound

21 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia Wa
USA
21 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2008 :  10:05:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's neat! I'll have to copy the recipe and give it a try some time. Wonder what kind of reaction happens to make the lye okay for skin once it is incorporated into the soap mixture? Makes me kind of nervous, not knowing much about lye.
Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2008 :  1:43:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've always wondered that too, Michelle - lye is scary stuff!

Jen

Farmgirl Sisterhood Member #9

The View From My Boots: www.bovesboots.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

June Bug
outstepping

75 Posts

Traci

75 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2008 :  7:55:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What exactly is lye? What purpose does it have in soap? Could anyone fill me in a little?
Traci
Go to Top of Page

June Bug
outstepping

75 Posts

Traci

75 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2008 :  11:00:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So, I just googled lye and answered my own questions, but I also found a really cool soap making site for materials....thesoapbarn.com....pretty neat. Let us know how it goes Juanita!
Traci
Go to Top of Page

Ladytrapper
outbound

32 Posts

Juanita
Nova Scotia
Canada
32 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2008 :  06:29:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ladytrapper's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks everyone ! It is prime herb and wildflower collecting time. I got a porch full of wild herbs hanging upside down already....hubby calls me "witchy woman"
I will let you all know the path I choose to take on this project...and thanks again.

Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair. ~Kahlil Gibran
Go to Top of Page

Elizaray
outspoken

680 Posts

Elizaray

680 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2008 :  7:29:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
www.millersoap.com is a great site- also the women over at the Farmgirl Connection seem to know a lot about soap making. www.maryjanesfarm.org/snitz

Elizaray
Go to Top of Page
  Mother Earth Wisdom: Previous Topic Making your own herbal soap Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
MaryJane's Outpost Dispatch © 2015 MaryJanesFarm Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000