HuckleberryWine
outbound

21 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia Wa
USA
21 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2008 :  09:24:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ran out of "real" coffee yesterday, so I dug up a bunch of weeds. :) Has anyone tried dandelion root coffee? I got the recipe from MaryJane's Outpost book. Dug, washed, chopped, washed, roasted...and opted for tea this morning. Wimp. Anyway, I'm stirring up the courage to try some out this afternoon when I need a little pick-me-up. I did nibble on a little roasted root and it wasn't unpleasant.

The yard looks good, no dandelions (we don't spray, I dig out my weeds, so I'm not poisoning myself). Hmm. There may be a problem with this if I really enjoy it...more of a "treat" than a staple. Wonder how I'd explain a dandelion garden to the neighbors? :) I'll have to wait until next spring for a second batch.

June Bug
outstepping

75 Posts

Traci

75 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2008 :  08:38:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Never tried it but I am very curious, I would think it would be a little bitter but I could be totally wrong. Please let us know how it is!
Traci
Go to Top of Page

HuckleberryWine
outbound

21 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia Wa
USA
21 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2008 :  10:00:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow! This is a pleasant surprize! I'm having a cup of dandelion root coffee, and it isn't bitter. It actually has a sweet (to my nose) aroma, like screwpine (a scent agent used in some Asian cooking, but actually has no flavor). If you're unfamiliar with that, the next closest scent would be like baked vanilla or fresh croissant. It looks like tea (could be that I didn't roast it too long), and the taste is mild and pleasant. It's not strong like coffee, not bitter, and if someone served you a cup, you'd be trying to figure out just what sort of new tea you had. I'm very pleasantly surprized. Thanks MaryJane for the recipe!
Go to Top of Page

June Bug
outstepping

75 Posts

Traci

75 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2008 :  09:40:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the info Michelle, I was very curious. I wonder what happens if you roast them longer? I'll have to try it one day!
Traci
Go to Top of Page

HuckleberryWine
outbound

21 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia Wa
USA
21 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2008 :  12:08:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wonder too, but I toasted them pretty brown. I didn't want to burn them. I might have to get brave and pop a bit back in the oven for a second roast and see if that changes things any.
Go to Top of Page

June Bug
outstepping

75 Posts

Traci

75 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2008 :  6:01:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I loved your descriptions Michelle, I could almost taste it. I will definately have to try it one day. Thanks, Traci
Go to Top of Page

Elizaray
outspoken

680 Posts

Elizaray

680 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2008 :  7:32:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the endorsement Michelle! I will try this next year! I am afraid of how much nastiness might have been sprayed on our yard (it's a rental) but considering how many weeds we have- I think I am okay. I guess we will see next year!

Elizaray
Go to Top of Page
  Outpost Kitchen: Previous Topic Dandelion root coffee Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
MaryJane's Outpost Dispatch © 2015 MaryJanesFarm Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000