Author Outpost Kitchen: Previous Topic Jerky Next Topic  

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2008 :  09:00:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm thinking I posted about jerky before, but I can't find it, so here it goes again!

Does anybody have a good recipe for beef, deer, elk, whatever JERKY? I love it, and I know some people successfully make it low-and-slow in the oven - but how? I dried a bunch of elk to a crisp once - bummer. I was afraid that it wasn't done enough until it was too done.

I did find a place where I can buy natural & organic jerky online, but it's spendy:
http://woodbury.jerkydirect.com/?page=prod&prodcat=1&pageaction=0

Jen

Farmgirl Sisterhood Member #9

The View From My Boots: www.bovesboots.blogspot.com

Aunt Jenny
outbound

35 Posts

Jenny
Manti UT
USA
35 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2008 :  7:55:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love to make jerky. I use a marinade of soy sauce, brown sugar and a bit of "liquid smoke" to taste. ..yum!! I use a regular electric dehydrator (I have two of the round Ronco ones..one I actually bought and one that I was gifted with used) and it works great..done overnight. The secret to it not being TOO crisp is to cut it a little thicker than you would think...but make sure you get all the fat off..every little bit!
Go to Top of Page

city_chick
outthinking

4 Posts

Christina
Omaha NE
USA
4 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2008 :  10:57:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Jen!

We make homemade deer jerky every year. We either buy Hi Mountain Jerky Cure & Seasoning or season it ourselves.

Now for the tip you may really be looking for.
We always freeze our meet first. It makes cutting it so much easier and with a slicer they are all pretty but consistantly the same thickness. I like it cut about 1/4 inch thick. We then cure or marinate the meat for at least 24 hours. We do ours in the oven at 200 degree oven on wire racks that have been placed on a cookie sheet. I can't give you an exact time but it is roughly about 1 1/2 hours. But be vigilant about checking it after an hour so that you get it to the crispness you desire. Then let them air dry and cool on the counter or prop open the oven door and let them cool in there overnight. My son and I like them a tad crispier than my husband who likes them to be a bit tender still. Either way it turns out great!!

Hugs~
Christina
Farmgirl #195

http://justacitychick.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2008 :  11:20:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Oh, thank you, ladies!! I am all fired up to make some now - especially come deer season. Thinking back, I did cut my elk pretty thin - more like what I wanted it to be when it was done. I aslo freeze & lightly thaw my meat before slicing (by hand), Christina. So much easier!

A million thanks - can't wait to try this...

PS - Love your blog, Christina! The shorts are very cute. I've been watching (not teaching) as my daughters embroider this and that. They did cloth napkins which their grandma turned into pillows, and now they've started designs on their jeans, but they got bored. I told them they have to finish before they can wear those pairs of jeans. I was hoping that would inspire them, but school is keeping them hopping this week!

Jen

Farmgirl Sisterhood Member #9

The View From My Boots: www.bovesboots.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Outpost Kitchen: Previous Topic Jerky Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
MaryJane's Outpost Dispatch © 2015 MaryJanesFarm Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000