Mountain Girl
outrigged

237 Posts

JoAnn
Colville WA
USA
237 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2008 :  09:29:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The stove used for heating the house not a kitchen stove. Currently I have a big baking chicken cooking there. Plan to use it for chicken noodle stove with fresh noodles that Jim will make. A couple of days ago Jim cooked up some sort of concoction with beef, potatoes, carrots onions and chick peas. It was very good. Anyone else try this. Makes the house smell oh so good.JoAnn

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away. Unknown

Elizaray
outspoken

680 Posts

Elizaray

680 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2008 :  06:54:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jo-Ann-

It's a good idea! When I am at the cabin burning wood that stove gets so hot!

The most we have done is kept a kettle up the for water for tea or coffee.

Elizaray
Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2008 :  4:45:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We've boiled a little this and that - often we just keep a pot of water on the stove to add humidity to the dry air. I think I'll experiment more this winter. Thanks for "lighting a match" under me, JoAnn!

Jen

Farmgirl Sisterhood Member #9

The View From My Boots: www.bovesboots.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Elizaray
outspoken

680 Posts

Elizaray

680 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2008 :  3:34:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's a good idea to conserve fuel too. If you are already going to be burning something to create heat, why burn a second fuel for cooking! LOL

Elizaray
Go to Top of Page

Mountain Girl
outrigged

237 Posts

JoAnn
Colville WA
USA
237 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2008 :  4:55:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just my thoughts exactly. The chicken soap turned out great. Tomorrow it's going to beans. JoAnn

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away. Unknown
Go to Top of Page

mimi
outthinking

6 Posts

Denise
NJ
6 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2008 :  9:58:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What kind of pots do you use to cook in when using the woodstove? Our gets pretty hot and I don't think my pots could take it.
Go to Top of Page

Mountain Girl
outrigged

237 Posts

JoAnn
Colville WA
USA
237 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2008 :  07:57:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mimi, We usually use a cast iron pot but have used a heavy regular pots. Our stove has two levels so if it gets too hot we put it on the higher level. You could also use some kind of iron/metal trivet thing I suppose. Actually the more I think about it any pan you might use over a campfire would do. JoAnn

Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2008 :  12:22:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We use cast iron & also the enamel coated pots. Like JoAnn suggested, we also use a makeshift trivet or rack to keep things warm when we don't want them boiling hot. The woodstove came in really handy on Thanksgiving - kept stuff warm while the oven was in use!

Jen

Farmgirl Sisterhood Member #9

The View From My Boots: www.bovesboots.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

mimi
outthinking

6 Posts

Denise
NJ
6 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2009 :  8:22:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Believe it or not it has taken me this long to start getting some cast iron cookware together to use in my kitchen. I really like using it. I think when we fire up the woodstove this fall I will try cooking on it. I have heated a few things up on it all the while stirring and keeping my eye on it. Wouldn't want to burn up my pans as the woodstove really heats up!
Go to Top of Page

Elizaray
outspoken

680 Posts

Elizaray

680 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2009 :  07:40:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have a dutch oven with little legs on it. I wonder if that would work on a wood stove like we have been talking about?

Elizaray
Go to Top of Page

Mountain Girl
outrigged

237 Posts

JoAnn
Colville WA
USA
237 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2009 :  6:27:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have the dutch oven with legs but never tried it. I suppose it could work, might take a little longer to get hot. Sometimes I have to raise the reg. dutch oven to the higher level if it's getting to hot. JoAnn

Go to Top of Page
  Outpost Kitchen: Previous Topic Cooking on the Wood Stove Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
MaryJane's Outpost Dispatch © 2015 MaryJanesFarm Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000