Author Outpost Kitchen: Previous Topic Sun Chips Next Topic  

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2009 :  11:47:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The good news:

* At its plant in Modesto, CA, SunChips brand has started using emissionless solar energy to help make its snacks.
* Today, 33% of every 10 1/2-ounce SunChips snack bag is created using renewable, plant-based materials.
* In 2010, it plans to introduce the first fully compostable chip bag of its kind.
* Over the past 5 years, Frito-Lay has eliminated 5 billion square inches of packaging by reducing the materials it uses by 10%.
* SunChips and National Geographic have joined forces to create the Green Effect™ - tell them your idea to eco-fy your community, and you could get $20,000 to make it happen, and a profile in National Geographic.

My Take on the Whole Thing:

As far as packaged snacks go, I've always liked Sun Chips. They're crispy, they taste great, and they contain less junk than most others. BUT I guarantee that no mass-marketed snack is going to save the planet (as the company likes to say). We need to buy less and grow more. And what about GMO corn? Is it hiding among all of those "all natural" Sun Chip ingredients? If so, that pretty much negates the company's eco-efforts for me...

Jen

Farmgirl Sisterhood Member #9

The View From My Boots: www.bovesboots.blogspot.com
  Outpost Kitchen: Previous Topic Sun Chips Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
MaryJane's Outpost Dispatch © 2015 MaryJanesFarm Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000