Author Birdwatching: Previous Topic More birds arriving daily! Next Topic
Page: of 5

Elizaray
outspoken

680 Posts

Elizaray

680 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2007 :  11:09:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
More birds are showing their faces in my yard each day! I am so happy that spring has truly "sprung". I love to see them hoping about getting worms and feeding from the bird feeder. Maybe this year I will get a bird bath for them.

Elizaray

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2007 :  11:38:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Goldfinches here - lots of them!

The View From My Boots: www.bovesboots.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Elizaray
outspoken

680 Posts

Elizaray

680 Posts

Posted - May 01 2007 :  08:41:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I saw this really cool bird out my window the other day. He has perching type body, was about the size of a medium robin, and had a brown body and a black and white stripped head! There were several in the tree, so I am hoping to see them again. I tried looking them up online but could not find a bird that looks just the same. Anyone have any idea what he could be? I had the windows closed so I did not hear it if they were calling to each other.

Elizaray
Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - May 01 2007 :  11:52:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hmmm....cedar waxwing, maybe? A juv. robin can have a white stripe thru its eye area. If you see more details, tell me & I'll try to help narrow it down

We've had an indigo bunting feeding with the flock of goldfinches in the yard - breathtaking!

Go to Top of Page

lilpunkin
outthinking

3 Posts

jaime
colorado
USA
3 Posts

Posted - May 01 2007 :  9:56:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am so happy that it is spring here. I have missed the birds chirping so bad. I didnt realize how bad until we had gone on vacation in March to Florida and I heard them singing. Now they are back in my neck of the woods singing again, and I also have the humingbirds too. So I will need to get my feeder out real quick so they stay around.
Go to Top of Page

Elizaray
outspoken

680 Posts

Elizaray

680 Posts

Posted - May 02 2007 :  11:45:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not a cedar waxwing. He had a very fat body and his head have about 3-4 alternating black and white stripes going from front to back. This bird was the same size and shape as a robin so I am not sure if it could be a juvenile robin or not. There was no red on the belly at all, just a barky brown color.

Elizaray
Go to Top of Page

Mountain Girl
outrigged

237 Posts

JoAnn
Colville WA
USA
237 Posts

Posted - May 02 2007 :  12:15:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The only bird that comes to mind that has the black and white stripes on it's head is a white throated sparrow if you live in the east or white crowned sparrow if you live in the west. They really aren't as big as a robin but are one of the larger sparrows. JoAnn
Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - May 02 2007 :  12:28:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I was thinking the sparrows, too, JoAnn - just the size wasn't right. A mystery!
A humingbird visited my window today, so I'm going to get a feeder. The flowers were all hit hard by the freeze, and although leaf buds are popping out again, I think flower nectar may be scarce this year.

Go to Top of Page

Mountain Girl
outrigged

237 Posts

JoAnn
Colville WA
USA
237 Posts

Posted - May 02 2007 :  1:23:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Saw our first hummingbird "scout" two days ago. I think Jim said it was a male caliope. The feeders are up but the weather has turned rainy (much needed) and cooler. JoAnn
Go to Top of Page

Patsy
outthinking

5 Posts

Patsy
Marshall IL
5 Posts

Posted - May 02 2007 :  2:51:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have ruby throated hummingbirds at the feeder. And also I saw a grosbeak which I haven't seen for at least 5 years. Three days ago there was a white dove along with the usual brown doves. I was thrilled but haven't seen him since. A gift from God I think.

May God Bless Those Who Love The Soil
Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - May 04 2007 :  12:11:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Just put up a hummingbird feeder this afternoon & am waiting....
My 4-yr-old daughter Sophie spotted a summer tanager on our fence today - like a ruby in the sun!

Go to Top of Page

Elizaray
outspoken

680 Posts

Elizaray

680 Posts

Posted - May 04 2007 :  2:42:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A White Crowned Sparrow! Yup that was them! Thanks for solving the mystery!

Elizaray
Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - May 06 2007 :  07:38:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yea!
Well, my hummingbird feeder is being valiantly protected (ie horded) by one mighty male. Will have to get a couple more to make sure everybody gets a sip now and then!

Go to Top of Page

marybeth
outstepping

146 Posts

Marybeth
Washington
USA
146 Posts

Posted - May 06 2007 :  5:24:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The American Goldfinch is back so I believe summer is coming. And, except residents, the Snow Geese, Trumpter Swan and Eagles and other raptors are headed back to the frozen north to raise some youngins'. The Violet-green Swallows are back and the nesting boxes at the barn are full. the Barn Swallows don't return until a little later. The Red-winged Blackbirds are nesting in the reeds by the pond. The male is SO protective. He is hilarious. MB

Being outside is being
Go to Top of Page

Elizaray
outspoken

680 Posts

Elizaray

680 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2007 :  4:19:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have recently noticed a certain red headed bird tap tap tapping on the telephone pole across the way. Woody Woodpecker has moved in!

We also have doves nesting in the tree, sparrows, wrens, and robins flitting about. It is quite the bird mania in my front yard!

Elizaray
Go to Top of Page

marybeth
outstepping

146 Posts

Marybeth
Washington
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2007 :  10:21:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The redwing black bird's families are gone from the pond now AND looking out the window by my computer I saw this little guy in the birch tree. I think it is a Red-breasted Nuthatch. I watched it for a while and then another flew in and they looked like they were getting bugs from under the foliage. The picture is through a screen. MB

Visit me at www.day4plus.blogspot.com

Being outside is being
Go to Top of Page

Elizaray
outspoken

680 Posts

Elizaray

680 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2007 :  4:33:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great pictures! He sure is cute!

Elizaray
Go to Top of Page