Mountain Girl
outrigged

237 Posts

JoAnn
Colville WA
USA
237 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2007 :  12:49:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is a fun time of year. All the parents are bringing their babies to the feeders. Last year we had a momma junco feeding her "baby" a cowbird. Yesterday a downy woodpecker starting pecking at the wood pole and then spotted birds at the thistle feeder so he was trying some thistle out too. JoAnn
Go to Top of Page

Ellen
outstepping

124 Posts

124 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2007 :  8:26:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
MB,
Even through the screen ya got a good capture!

Elizaray
I watched our woody woodpecker working on my split rail fence this morning.

JoAnn how many feeders do you have? How often do you have to fill?
Go to Top of Page

Mountain Girl
outrigged

237 Posts

JoAnn
Colville WA
USA
237 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2007 :  06:57:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ellen, Right now we have only two seed feeders up (we have more in the winter)one for thistle and one for black sunflowers. They are on the front deck. Jim usually tops them off daily. We have four hummingbird feeders and three suet feeders. A funny story on trying to get suet here when we first arrived--I couldn't find any and when I asked at Safeway I was asked what I wanted it for? duh to feed the birds. They still don't have it out. They told me to call ahead for it. Before they would take it out of a scrap bag. Now they said once it's in the scrap bag they can't take it out. ?? Super1 carrys it now all the time but they grind it up. I have to ask for chunks. JoAnn
Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2007 :  11:45:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That's funny, JoAnn - maybe suet is more of an eastern thing? What do you think, western girls?
When I was a kid (in MO), my mom always bought it pre-made with the fat & seeds and hung it in a little suet "cage" in the winter.
Last year, I was thinking of making suet with deer fat. Got lazy, though, and just threw a few chunks of fat out on the feeder one bitter cold day, and several of the little seed-eaters (chickadees, wrens, juncos) seemed to like nibbling at it. Hope to get more organized this year with my feeders!

The View From My Boots: www.bovesboots.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Mountain Girl
outrigged

237 Posts

JoAnn
Colville WA
USA
237 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2007 :  12:50:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jen, Here's an idea rather strange but it worked. Jim doesn't hunt deer but someone left the rib cage of one on our property. It still had lots of stuff on it so he strung it up in the trees and the birds loved it. Now he goes looking for them to hang. I demand he puts them a little out of sight : ) JoAnn
Go to Top of Page

Elizaray
outspoken

680 Posts

Elizaray

680 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2007 :  5:08:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am not really educated about Suet. Is it more of a cold weather food for the birds to have energy?

Elizaray
Go to Top of Page

Mountain Girl
outrigged

237 Posts

JoAnn
Colville WA
USA
237 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2007 :  6:07:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Elizaray now that you asked the question why I had to ponder the answer: ) We did come from a cold place(Minnesota) It is kinda a substitute for insects in a bird's diet. It really lures them in so it's great birdwatching. Have to watch it closely in the hotter weather so it doesn't go bad. We bring it up to the cabin when we go there and the Canada Jays empty it out almost immediately. JoAnn
Go to Top of Page

Elizaray
outspoken

680 Posts

Elizaray

680 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2007 :  4:36:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I see! If you feed it during the summer, does that mean the birds don't eat the insects as much? I really like seeing the birds, but would rather have the insects gone!

Elizaray
Go to Top of Page

Mountain Girl
outrigged

237 Posts

JoAnn
Colville WA
USA
237 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2007 :  4:58:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Elizaray, I think they do both. What you need is a bat house. They'll eat those pesky insects and don't come to the feeder, well I don't think they do : ) JoAnn
Go to Top of Page

Ellen
outstepping

124 Posts

124 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2007 :  11:27:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My Pop Pop told me to take suet down once it got to 70 because it gets into the birds wings and fat on feathers messes with their flying skills. And your right Elizaray ya want them eating the borers and cankerworms.

Go to Top of Page

Mountain Girl
outrigged

237 Posts

JoAnn
Colville WA
USA
237 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2007 :  07:26:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ellen I have never heard that and I have never experienced it either. I'll watch the feeders during the hot spell we're are suppose to get and see how the suet reacts to the heat. JoAnn
Go to Top of Page

Elizaray
outspoken

680 Posts

Elizaray

680 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2007 :  7:00:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I heard a new bird this morning- in fact it woke me up. I think it was a male pheasent or something? It was not a pretty sound. It was a "Squank! Squank!" sound. Sort of a squack sound, but it almost sounded like a duck quacking too! Weird... and loud!

Elizaray
Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2007 :  12:35:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Male pheasant calls always remind me of a horn on an old-time car -- you know, that kind of "Ahh-ROO-gaa!!!" sound? I know, I'm off my rocker, but that's what it reminds me of!

The View From My Boots: www.bovesboots.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Ellen
outstepping

124 Posts

124 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2007 :  11:36:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ya ever visited the cornell university bird site
http://www.birds.cornell.edu/AllAboutBirds/

listen here for your pheasant
http://www.birds.cornell.edu/AllAboutBirds/audio/Ring-necked_Pheasant.html
Go to Top of Page

blueberries in alaska
outstepping

109 Posts

Jo
hillsides of the Chugach AK
USA
109 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2007 :  12:23:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit blueberries in alaska's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Some of the summer nesting birds are leaving now, isn't that crazy? The unsuccessful breeders and males leave first on their migratory route..... later on will be the young and mothers. We've turned the corner from solstice so the days are getting shorter already (and I'm sleeping better!).

Has anyone seen "Winged Migration" fabulous film I highly recommend. You probably all saw it before me!
http://www.sonyclassics.com/wingedmigration/index_flash.html

I know you are all in the middle of summer, we have our summer rain and I know August will feel like fall here once again....... jo

there's no place like home....

http://web.mac.com/thomja/iWeb/Site/Welcome.html

http://homepage.mac.com/thomja/PhotoAlbum22.html

Edited by - blueberries in alaska on Jul 08 2007 12:40:37 PM
Go to Top of Page

Ellen
outstepping

124 Posts

124 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2007 :  1:13:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In my dreams... August felt like fall

how far do temps dip for you to think fall arrived?

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Birdwatching: Previous Topic More birds arriving daily! Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
MaryJane's Outpost Dispatch © 2015 MaryJanesFarm Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000