Author Birdwatching: Previous Topic More birds arriving daily! Next Topic
Page: of 5

Elizaray
outspoken

680 Posts

Elizaray

680 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2007 :  8:50:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh my gosh! I had to remind myself you were talking about Alaska! I was sitting here thinking- but summer hasn't hardly started here yet! LOL :)

Elizaray
Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2007 :  12:51:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We just watched "Winged Migration" again the other night, Jo. It is such an incredible film. Summer is heating up here - 90s most days & HUMID. Will have to see a stretch of 70s again before I remember fall - probably a teaser in Sept, then Oct will bring more of the real thing.

Saw a roadrunner in our yard today!! I'd never seen one till we moved here - they're beautiful!

The View From My Boots: www.bovesboots.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

blueberries in alaska
outstepping

109 Posts

Jo
hillsides of the Chugach AK
USA
109 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2007 :  10:42:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit blueberries in alaska's Homepage  Reply with Quote
May and June are sunny here, July the rains often begin... it is crazy how August you really start getting a bite in the air, temps in the 40's and 50's , then we have two weeks of real FALL weather and you watch the colors change down the mountains, it is glorious! Termination dust (snow) comes up here late september and voila WINTER!

I love roadrunners! I've seen them alot in Arizona when I used to travel there frequently. They are very interesting birds, we have ravens running amok here. jo

there's no place like home....

http://web.mac.com/thomja/iWeb/Site/Welcome.html

http://homepage.mac.com/thomja/PhotoAlbum22.html
Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2007 :  11:54:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This is a big statement, Jo, but I could almost trade all other birds in my life for ravens. Raucous, brazen, communal, wildly intelligent - love 'em! There's a good raven essay in The Way Winter Comes. Actually, I have become pretty bird crazy overall in my "old" age --I get such a kick out of seeing new species--but ravens are fantastic.

Go to Top of Page

Elizaray
outspoken

680 Posts

Elizaray

680 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2007 :  9:51:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have heard that ravens are amazingly intelligent and basically are very under rated as far as public opinion goes. But I still love hearing the bird song out my window every morning. Such a great way to wake up!

Elizaray
Go to Top of Page

marybeth
outstepping

146 Posts

Marybeth
Washington
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2007 :  9:27:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It was interesting reading this thread from the beginning. It started in April and just to read about the progression of different types of birds and the changing weather patterns is amazing. It is the last day of November now and the valley here is full of Snow Geese and Trumpeter Swan, all coming down from the north land. They winter over here. This year I saw the first Snow Geese October 18th. Every post seems to have a hawk on it. Mostly Red-tailed but we do have a large year-round population of them. Lots of Northern Harrier and Kestrals too. Of course the big draw are the Eagles. We have a lot down river (here) but the up river areas are famous for the Eagles in winter. I have been so occupied with a sick husband, then his death before Thanksgiving (which is another reason I went to Ritzville) that I haven't been birding much so far this Fall. One of Dave's favorite things to do during his illness (the past 3 1/2 years) that is saddens me to go without him. But I will and I will take some pictures and post them. I, too, like the crows and ravens. They are their own community and have their leaders and look-outs and are just interesting birds to watch and sometimes interact. MB

Being outside is being

Edited by - marybeth on Nov 30 2007 9:29:26 PM
Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2007 :  7:30:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
MB, I deeply admire your resilience in the wake of such a difficult time. I know that you will return to the birds and that you'll carry Dave with you when you do.

We stood in our far field at dusk tonight and watched a shifting formation of snow geese pass over, low, heading south into the unknown night. Such instinctive courage and perseverance.

Titmice here lately, nuthatches, and cardinals - those scarlet gems!

Jen

Farmgirl Sisterhood Member #9

Go to Top of Page

Elizaray
outspoken

680 Posts

Elizaray

680 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2007 :  10:06:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi MaryBeth!

I know bird watching will someday be a treasured pass time again- maybe especially because it was an activity you shared with Dave.

Speaking of hawks- One chased a quail into the house the other day. I was very disappointed when it went through the effort to bring down prey- and then didn't come back to eat it!

Elizaray
Go to Top of Page

Mountain Girl
outrigged

237 Posts

JoAnn
Colville WA
USA
237 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2007 :  3:17:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just the other day a goshawk got one of our little quail very close to the house. Jim saw it happen and it flew right across the deck with it. JoAnn
Go to Top of Page

marybeth
outstepping

146 Posts

Marybeth
Washington
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2008 :  9:45:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well the valleys are awash with the wintering large birds. Every year up on the upper Skagit there is the Bald Eagle festival but here on the lower Skagit there are plenty of Eagles to satisfy anyone. The Rangers figure at least 100,000 Snow Geese this year and plenty of Trumpter Swan and of course the Bald Eagle. Pictures I took today. I am trying out the zoom on my new camera so ignore the fuzziness--if any. Eagles and Swan

Being outside is being
Go to Top of Page

Elizaray
outspoken

680 Posts

Elizaray

680 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2008 :  07:48:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great Pictures MaryBeth!!

Elizaray
Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2008 :  5:48:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey, MB - I don't know how I missed these!! They're beautiful. I am hopelessly in awe of eagles. We lived with bunches of them on the island in WA, and seeing them here occasionally just makes me swoon.
We've had lots of vibrant red cardinals coming by our yard to get sunflower seeds lately; they sure do brighten a gray winter's day.

Jen

Go to Top of Page

marybeth
outstepping

146 Posts

Marybeth
Washington
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2008 :  10:25:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wish we had Cardinals out here. I have never seen one in real life. They would sure brighten up my gray day. MB

Being outside is being
Go to Top of Page

Elizaray
outspoken

680 Posts

Elizaray

680 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2008 :  10:59:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I haven't seen the birds, but walking outside the otherday I sure could hear their songs! They were happy that we were having unseasonably warm weather between snow storms.

Elizaray
Go to Top of Page

marybeth
outstepping

146 Posts

Marybeth
Washington
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2008 :  10:21:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Took a little ride down the Skagit Valley and got a good look at the Snow Geese. There were thousands. They were on the ground and they flew up and settled down and up again. It was very breath-taking and them dang birds are noisy.

Being outside is being
Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2008 :  07:26:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Those are fantastic, MB - I can HEAR them. I saved the top one as this week's wallpaper on my computer desktop. We haven't seen snow geese here for a month or two - they were mesmerizing, though, strung across the sky like broken necklaces.

Jen

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Birdwatching: Previous Topic More birds arriving daily! Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
MaryJane's Outpost Dispatch © 2015 MaryJanesFarm Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000