Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Outpost Dispatch
 Mother Earth Wisdom
 Grow Your Own Herbal Medicine!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Mother Earth Wisdom: Previous Topic Grow Your Own Herbal Medicine! Next Topic
Page: of 2

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2008 :  3:25:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
MaryJanesFarm Pay Dirt Farm School Classes

May 18, 2008 - Grow Your Own Herbal Medicine!

Herbs offer a wealth of benefits. This class will cover starting herbs from seed, the ecological niche certain herbs grow best in, when and how to harvest them, and what they are used for. Participants will take home notes, seeds, and plants. We will focus on Comfrey and Calendula in this class, but many herbs will be discussed and shown.

Instructor: K. Sequoia Ladd is a community herbalist with nearly 15 years of holistic counseling behind her. She is passionate about using organic, local plants, and wildcrafts. She also grows about 90% of the botanical medicine she uses. She infuses her herbal practice with permaculture principles to keep the focus preventative, simple, and sustainable.

Cost: $25
Time: 10 a.m. – 1 p.m.

Preregistration is required, and class size is limited to 20.
Registration: MaryJanesFarm, Moscow, Idaho, 208-882-6819, or sunny@maryjanesfarm.org

Jen

Farmgirl Sisterhood Member #9

The View From My Boots: www.bovesboots.blogspot.com

Libbie
outstepping

157 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
157 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2008 :  10:38:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This one looks SO awesome! I just planted a little plot of Calendula seeds the other day, and I really wish I was closer so I could attend the class. What a cool thing!!!

XOXO, Libbie

"Farmgirl Sister #10," and proud of it!!!
Go to Top of Page

baycrkgrl
outthinking

9 Posts

Tami
Michigan
9 Posts

Posted - May 16 2008 :  6:59:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit baycrkgrl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
calendula is amazing! i have been growing it and using it for a few years, i have seen proof that it heals skin problems, burns, and even warts!i've heard it is also good as a tea for ulcers? has anyone tried calendula that way before? i'm seriously new at this blogging thing, always said i never would have time, but, i think this could be a good thing, i'm so far from home and family/friends who are alot like me as far as being "countryfied" goes, so talking to you all will be a breath of fresh air!
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
outstepping

157 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
157 Posts

Posted - May 17 2008 :  9:24:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh, Tami - I'm at the end of the road in a really rural area, so I think I know what you mean - and it's great to have you here! Isn't it nice to be among friends!

I've never used calendula, but since I have some growing, I'd love to hear about how you've used it for skin stuff - my boys are ALWAYS having some sort of scratch, scrape, bite, etc.!

XOXO, Libbie

Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - May 19 2008 :  10:07:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Here, here! This is a wonderful community - we can learn so much from each other! How about saffron...have you heard of using it for PMS? My sister asked me to look into it because she'd heard about it, and I read that small doses can help ease symptoms (as well as those of menopause), but large doses are highly toxic! All I really know about saffron is that it's used in Indian cooking and it is MEGA expensive!

Jen

Go to Top of Page

baycrkgrl
outthinking

9 Posts

Tami
Michigan
9 Posts

Posted - May 21 2008 :  6:56:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit baycrkgrl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Libbie
thank you for the welcome, it means alot ! i steap calendula in olive oil and make salve and lip balm, i also use it in my soap, i started making it out of neccessity and it has worked so well i started selling it at the farmers market about three years ago, the big reward is knowing that it helps people, there are so many who can't use the "chemical" lotions, once you start making it you won't go back to the "pharm" stuff, if you need a recipe let me know, be glad to share...Tami
Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - May 22 2008 :  11:31:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I would LOVE the recipe, Tami! I am totally new to homemade lotions & potions (generally avoid the commercial varieties altogether because of the mysterious ingredients), so I'm eager to learn.

Jen

Go to Top of Page

June Bug
outstepping

75 Posts

Traci

75 Posts

Posted - May 27 2008 :  1:44:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In reply to the saffron question, yes it can be used for women's stuff but I think you have to be careful. I drink a yogi tea called "woman's moon cycle" and the last ingredient is saffron stamen. Also, if your looking for a really amazing natural lotion, anything made by the Super Salve company in New Mexico is fabulous. I went to massage school in New Mexico and part of our ciriculum was herbs so we got to tour their facility and it is so down to earth. A woman named Denise Tracy owns it. Small businesses rock!
Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2008 :  07:56:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Very cool, Traci - thanks!!

Jen

Go to Top of Page

baycrkgrl
outthinking

9 Posts

Tami
Michigan
9 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2008 :  5:37:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit baycrkgrl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
hi Jen,
sorry, have been away for awhile, computer trouble,the hard drive has crashed several times, come to find out the computer was a lemon, the fan would not work to cool down the hard drive and it would keep burning out, can you believe that ?! so glad they replaced it! and of course this time of year there is so much planting to do in such little time, and sheep to sheer, barns to clean, fences to fix, and oh, that darn bear!!! soap to make , i'm sure you have lists a mile long too, and of course the kids always have something going on, well,anyway, here's a recipe for all natural calendula salve, i take about 1/4 cup fresh calendula petals and heat them in 1 cup olive oil, you can turn the burner off and let it set over night, in the morning i strain the petals off and return th oil back in the bowl, always use glass, and a double boiler, a 2 cup measuring cup works great, heat the oil and add 4 table spoons aloe vera,30 drops tea tree oil and 1 oz. beeswax, heat and gently stir until the beeswax melts then pour into sterilized jars, make sure your aloe is pure aloe without alcohol, i get mine from lilly of the dessert, it's certified organic, the essential oils from frontier or aura cacia, they all have websites for on-line ordering, a better price than retail, the quality is well worth it ,have fun with this and let me know how it goes, once you start you will be hooked on making your own products ...........Tami
Go to Top of Page

baycrkgrl
outthinking

9 Posts

Tami
Michigan
9 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2008 :  5:46:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit baycrkgrl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
oops!!sorry!! to Libby and everyone else too!! been away for awhile , told you my head felt like it was spinning !!! i guess my excuse is that it's almost 9 oclock p.m. and that's about the time i turn into a pumpkin !!!! Tami
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
outstepping

157 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
157 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2008 :  7:16:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No worries, Tami! My "pumpkin time" is right around then, too! I'm really excited to try the recipe - about how long does the salve keep in the jars? I was thinking that I could just make several batches and store them in the refrigerator to last the summer - how do you do it?

XOXO, Libbie

Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2008 :  09:37:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Neato - thanks, Tami! I finally made my own laundry soap & it's working great. I'd prefer to make the dry kind, but I had a big bottle of Dr. Bronner's soap on hand, so I made the liquid.

Liquid Detergent (about 1 gallon)
2 cups water (boiling)
1 cup liquid soap (Dr Bronner's is the BEST)
1 cup borax
1 cup washing soda
Add all the ingredients to a gallon jug and shake well. Then fill the jug up the rest of the way with tap water - and you can add a few drops of your favorite essential oil if desired. Shake before each use. Use 1/4 - 1/2 cup per load of laundry. Cheap and natural - yea!!

Jen

Go to Top of Page

baycrkgrl
outthinking

9 Posts

Tami
Michigan
9 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2008 :  7:12:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit baycrkgrl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
didn't mean to be gone for so long, wow, where does the time go? i actually started to reply a few weeks ago but had to shut down a.s.a.p. mr.bear, who normally had stayed on his side of the fence, had gone through and chased my horses way down the road, so, long story short, re-doing fencing was added to the long list of things to do, anyway, about the salve, needs to stay cool and dry, no humidity, it should last about 4-6 months, it is normally hot when you poor it and if poured in ball jars, it seels good, the laundry soap recipe looks like a good idea too! hope all is well with you all, tami
Go to Top of Page

Elizaray
outspoken

680 Posts

Elizaray

680 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2008 :  10:47:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I make the powdered laundry soap and love how my clothes smell. This is what I use:

(big batch)
6 bars homemade soap grated fine
1 box borax
1 box washing soda
2 lbs baking soda

Mix well and use 1/4 cup per load. Hang dry clothes. Enjoy!

Tami- Thanks for the info on making the salve! I am going to try this!

Elizaray
Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2008 :  11:48:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Elizaray. I'm wondering - is the bar soap necessary for cleaning, or mostly just for good smells??

Jen

Go to Top of Page

Elizaray
outspoken

680 Posts

Elizaray

680 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2008 :  3:43:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Some only use "Washing Minerals" which is basically the same formula sans the soap. I need the soap because DH (and occasionally I) still wear deodorant which is oily and I seem to have a hole in my bottom lip which leaves lots of food stains down my shirt. The soap is great for those. There is a lot less soap in the homemade mixture than there is in the commercial clothes soap and no fillers. Everything in that recipe has a job to do! :D

Elizaray
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Mother Earth Wisdom: Previous Topic Grow Your Own Herbal Medicine! Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
MaryJane's Outpost Dispatch © 2015 MaryJanesFarm Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000