Page: of 2

mimi
outthinking

6 Posts

Denise
NJ
6 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2008 :  5:16:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was wondering if anyone knows what time of year the hummingbirds leave? We were at the park around 8:30 last night and as we were heading to entrance I ducked because I thought there was a bat flying around my head. As I got a better look it was a hummingbird. I didn't think they were still in this area now.

Mountain Girl
outrigged

237 Posts

JoAnn
Colville WA
USA
237 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2008 :  07:14:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mimi I don't know about your area but here there are always a few stragglers that come through after the others have left. JoAnn

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away. Unknown
Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2008 :  11:28:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We get stragglers here in AR, too - of course we're farther south - but I haven't seen any for a few weeks.

Jen

Farmgirl Sisterhood Member #9

The View From My Boots: www.bovesboots.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

LeslieAnne
outbound

29 Posts

LeslieAnne
Shallowater TX
USA
29 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2008 :  08:10:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mimi, your "regular" ruby-throated hummingbirds may already be gone, but some western hummers, especially rufous, have been known to stray to the eastern U.S. during fall migration... maybe that's what you saw...

LeslieAnne...westTexas
Go to Top of Page

mimi
outthinking

6 Posts

Denise
NJ
6 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2008 :  11:39:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Considering I thought it was a bat to start with I have to say I was glad it was a hummingbird. I have not kept up with the different types but I do get my books out this time of year and start looking up the ones that come around. Unfortunately it was so close to me I really didn't get a good look and my daughter saw it and said it was a hummingbird not a bat.
Go to Top of Page

BackwoodsBella
outthinking

8 Posts

Julie
MD
USA
8 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2008 :  4:51:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I havent seen any of ours for a few weeks now. I guess they've moved on.
Go to Top of Page

city chick
outstepping

93 Posts

Deb
Chicago IL
USA
93 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2008 :  04:26:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit city chick's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We had our first hummer at the beginning of October. My oldest daughter was so pleased - as it was enjoying her flower garden! Only saw it for 2 or 3 days. Probably just passing through. They are incredible little creatures.

My Gram lived on the desert in California and had them at her feeder all the time. The first time I saw one - it buzzed me up pretty close. I thought it was a HUGE bug! LOL! I was happy it was a hummer too.

When do they migrate back north?

http://www.xanga.com/My_Pondering_Place
Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2009 :  12:00:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The Birth of a Hummingbird!

Keep in mind the egg is smaller than a tic tac and a quarter fits the opening of the nest! This is truly amazing.
(Be sure to click on NEXT PAGE at the bottom of each page; there are 5 pages in all. A lady found a hummingbird nest and got pictures all the way from the egg to leaving the nest.) It took 24 days from birth to flight.

http://community-2.webtv.net/Velpics/HUM/

Jen

Go to Top of Page

Mountain Girl
outrigged

237 Posts

JoAnn
Colville WA
USA
237 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2009 :  3:13:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a little humingbird nest. To think there could be 5 eggs in there is amazing. Can't wait for there return.JoAnn

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away. Unknown
Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2009 :  10:17:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have an empty feeder hanging on the porch to lure them. Haven't seen one yet, though, so I'm waiting to fill it.

Jen

Go to Top of Page

LeslieAnne
outbound

29 Posts

LeslieAnne
Shallowater TX
USA
29 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2009 :  1:55:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I cleaned & filled & hung out one feeder yesterday, after learning there had been some black-chinned hummers visiting a yard in Richardson, Texas (Dallas suburb).. that's east of here, but just about the same distance north... I'm sooooooo ready to see them come back this year... my Salvia greggii is blooming like crazy too, so the little birdies should have plenty to eat when they get here...

LeslieAnne.....
Go to Top of Page

Alee
outstepping

104 Posts

104 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2009 :  10:08:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow LeslieAnne! That is so great! It is still too cold up here for them, but I hope to put out some feeders this year! I think it would be so much fun for my 2 year old to see the humming birds!
Go to Top of Page

city chick
outstepping

93 Posts

Deb
Chicago IL
USA
93 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2009 :  04:56:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit city chick's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I just had to look up the black chinned hummer. I don't think I've ever seen one of those before. Stunning!

I think it will be awhile before our hummers return. My oldest dd planted zinnias last year and was so excited when she had her first hummer visit!

I think I'll surprise them with a feeder.

http://www.xanga.com/My_Pondering_Place
Go to Top of Page

Elizaray
outspoken

680 Posts

Elizaray

680 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2009 :  7:50:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow what a great link, Jen! I think I will hang bird feeders outside my kitchen window this year, like Alee- I think it would be fun for my baby to see the Hummers too!

Elizaray
Go to Top of Page

LeslieAnne
outbound

29 Posts

LeslieAnne
Shallowater TX
USA
29 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2009 :  10:04:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aaarrrrggggggggg... we had some snow & freezing temps about a week ago, so I brought my feeder in... that wasn't the worst of it, all the blooms on my Salvia greggii froze, as well as all the buds on the Texas betony that were just about ready to pop open... today the wind is blowing like crazy, gusts up to 50 mph, so I guess I'm gonna have to wait to put the feeder out again... I just hope the hummers don't come by & see there's nothing to eat & move on before I get to see them...

LeslieAnne...
Go to Top of Page

Mountain Girl
outrigged

237 Posts

JoAnn
Colville WA
USA
237 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2009 :  12:57:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This seems to be an awful spring all around the country. I'm waiting for it to end! It's tough to loose already blooming flowers. My crocus are up and they seem to be able to adapt. JoAnn

Go to Top of Page

Jen
Expedition Leader

1384 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
1384 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2009 :  11:10:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We escaped a hard freeze by a nose last night! There aren't any flowers on my berry plants yet, so I risked leaving them uncovered. Lucky the temp didn't drop like it did 2 years ago. This morning everything looks happy. Whew!
No hummers here yet, just a couple of pesky bluebirds who have laid claim to my truck - poop all over it. I even built them a quick house & mounted it on the fence next to the driveway (and moved the truck off into the yard), but the male tracked it down & continues to contend that it's his. Sigh...

Jen

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Birdwatching: Previous Topic Hummingbirds Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
MaryJane's Outpost Dispatch © 2015 MaryJanesFarm Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000